The Mater is renowned for its Maternity unit. In 2011 it was awarded best Maternity Unit in NSW by Medibank Private after a survey of 2000 of its members who had recently given birth. The Mater’s Maternity Unit welcomes over 2,500 babies into the world each year.
The Foundation has enhanced world-class maternity care at the Mater by supporting
- The provision of laptops for patient/family education sessions
- Funding travel fellowships for Trainee Obstetricians from Sri Lanka
- The purchase of a Skills Training Birthing Simulator
- The purchase of a Central Foetal Monitoring Unit for the delivery suite, which allows all birthing mothers and their babies to be monitored from the nurses’ station
- The purchase of the latest technology humidi-cribs for the new Special Care Nursery
In 2012 The Foundation embarked on a special fundraising project to raise funds in support of a new Special Care Nursery to be built on the top floor of the Mater’s new three story extension, which is due for completion in May 2015.
Thanks to the generosity of our supporters, The Foundation has been able to fully fund the fit out and construction of this new nursery. Please click here to read more about the Special Care Nursery project.